"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

My Thoughts: Libraries


Today I saw that one of my favorite BookTubers- Heather from Bookables- posted a video on why she loves the library. I really loved hearing why she loves the library so I decided to write a post on what I think of the library. If you'd like to check out her video you can by clicking HERE
Alright guys so I'm going to be honest with you, I can back and forth on the library.
I remember when I was little and I got my first library card I thought it was the coolest thing EVER. I mean come on, you get to bring home as many books as you want and you don't have to pay for them. How awesome is that?
Ever since that first library card I've gone through phases. Sometimes I go to the library twice a week for like a year and then other times it takes me a year to go the library.
One of the reasons Heather gave for loving the library is that you can read the book to see if you like it before you spend the money on it. She said that if she reads a book from the library she'll go out and purchase it to add to her collection.
I unfortunately am the opposite.
If I rent a book from the library - even if I love it - chances are I'm not going to purchase it. At least not for a while. The thing is I don't want to spend money on a book I've already read. I'd rather buy something new. That gets frustrating to me because I want to own the book but I can't bring myself to buy it. To be honest I think the only book that I've rented from the library and then bought - full price - is The Fault in Our Stars.My biggest problem with the library is returning the books on time!! This is especially true if I don't read the books. Here's the deal, when I go to the library I rent 2-5 books. When I get home I go through them and decide which one to read first. If for some reason that book is a dud then I'll move onto the next one and so on until I find the best book. If none of them work out then I forget about them and then forget to return them.
However if I read them and I love them then I want to take them back so I can get more books because I'm on a reading high.
With all of that being said I do love the library.
I think that it's wonderful because you do get to borrow all of these books so if you're broke you can still read the things you want. Also there's something about libraries that calms me. I don't know if it's the quiet, the relaxed atmosphere or being in the presence of that many books but it makes me happy. I've heard people say that because of kindles and other e-readers libraries are going to go extinct and that thought scares me. I don't think that it'll happen but I don't know. I have and always will love going to the library and I love taking my son and want him to grow up loving it too.
Let me know your thoughts on libraries in the comments!! 

2 comments:

  1. I actually haven't been in a library in while, but that's because I've been buying all my books. Nothing against libraries, but if I can support the author by buying their books then I will. I don't think libraries will go away though. There will always be people who go there for books because they like to support libraries or can't afford to buy books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geesh I can't believe I didn't mention supporting your authors. I think I may turn this into a series. You know kindle vs. physical book, book chain vs. local book store. What'cha thing?

      Delete