"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Golda Fried Interview


I'm so excited to have an interview for you all today!

I recently read Nellcott Is My Darling and was lucky enough to interview the author, Golda Fried! :)

Thank you so much Golda for taking time out of your schedule to answer these questions for me!

I hope you all enjoy!


:)






1. Did you always know that you wanted to be a writer?
No, I wanted to be a ballet dancer, then a film director, the Bob Dylan, then a writer.

2. If you could co-write with any author-living or dead-who would you choose?
Probably David Levithan who wrote every other chapter with Rachel Cohn for Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist. I really like his style. I could learn a lot from Janet Fitch too (writer of White Oleander)-her prose is beautiful.

3. What was your favorite book as a teenager?
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest-I had some teenage angst going on.

4. Alice loved Nellcott even though he was NOT good for her. Do you think everyone has a Nellcott at least once?
Not sure.

5. Allegra was my favorite character, who was your favorite character to write?
The Children's Lit Guy-the name alone made me laugh.

6. Alice talked a lot about music and her favorite bands, what kind of music do you like?
I like pretty much the ones that Alice talked about in the book: the Rolling Stones, the Velvet Underground, Iggy and the Stooges. And singer songwriter stuff. Recently I've been listening to Mary Gauthier (singer of "Drag Queens and Limousines") and lots of Avett Brothers.

7. Do you ever base your characters on people you've met in real life?
It's more based on moments of people I've met. I can't say yes because then I get people like my cousin who says, "This conversation is copyrighted and you can't use any of it" as soon as I get on the phone.

8. Who are some of your favorite authors?
Banana Yoshimoto definitely. Susannah Kaysen (who wrote Girl, Interrupted). I read a lot but there's also huge holes in my reading.

9. If you could only read 5 books for the rest of your life, which books would you choose?
The Collected Short Stories of Tennessee Williams
Franny and Zooey
by J.D. Salinger
Lenny Bruce is Dead by Jonathon Goldstein
Poor Cow by Nell Dunn
Run With The Hunted: A Charles Bukowski Reader

10. If Nellcott Is My Darling had a theme song, what would it be?
"Can't Wait" by Bob Dylan as Nellcott's theme song and "Phoenix" by Aimee Mann for Alice's theme song--Just replace "Montreal" for "Phoenix."

Follow Golda Fried Here:
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads


1 comment:

  1. When I was little, I wanted to be a ballerina too!
    Great interview. I love Golda Fried. It's an awesome name.

    ReplyDelete