"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Nellcott Is My Darling by Golda Fried


I first saw this book in a haul on Heather/Bookables YouTube channel. As soon as she read the back cover I knew I had to read it.
Want to know the line that drew me in?
"She doesn't know how it happened, but Nellcott has become her darling."
I instantly knew that I had to get this book. I needed to know why this Nellcott fella was her darling.

This book follows Alice and her time in college. She's a virgin and she's pretty insecure about it.
She meets Nellcott a boy who wears eyeliner, works at a record store, and is significantly more experienced than Alice.
Throughout the story you get to know Alice more and watch relationships develop between her and Nelcott and friends.

I will tell you that this book isn't what I expected. I knew it was a coming of age type book and I've heard it referred to as New Adult. Now if you know me you know that I simply adore New Adult. This isn't at all what I'm used to in the New Adult Genre. And by that I mean there weren't and naughty naughty scenes.

I will also tell you that I really disliked Nellcott. When I read the back and saw "Wears eyeliner and works at a record store" I'm like um yes please. But he was a jerk. Like a serious jerk.
What's funny is I'm pretty sure I dated a Nellcott. In fact I'm pretty sure most girls have.
You know that guy that you're madly head over feet in love with even though they are a total jerk? Those guys that everyone warns you about but you don't care? Yeah that's Nellcott.

It was written in a very poetic way which I'm also not used to but did enjoy.
I'd recommend this book to you if you're looking for a coming of age type novel.

P.S. It takes place during the '90s which makes it extra awesome in my book.

Nellcott Is My Darling Playlist:
Tom's Diner by Suzanne Vega
Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor
Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
Never Enough by The Cure
Wicked Game by Chris Isaak


Buy Here:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment