"What do you want to be?" "Happy," she says with a smile. - Colleen Hoover

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Modern Monsters by Kelley York

Usually when I write a review I wait until a few days after I've finished the book. I like to let what I just read sink in before I start talking about it. However we're going against the norm for this one because I literally just finished it not even five minutes ago.
I was sent this book for review and I was really excited about it. The first thing that drew me to it was the cover - yes I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but come on look at it, it's awesome.
The second thing that intrigued me was the plot. I haven't read a lot of stories about rape and I have NEVER read a book from the person who was accused of rape.
I'm not going to lie to you, when I started this book I wasn't really liking it. I've been reading a lot of New Adult lately that just makes me smile and this is a dark young adult contemporary. It's completely different from what I've been reading so I think that's why I couldn't get into it. About 40 % into the book I started getting really into it. I wanted to know what was going to happen with Victor and the rest of the characters.
Last night I had read 60 % and I didn't want to put it down - but it was 3 am and sleep needs to happen.
If you haven't read anything about this book before then let me give you some info. This book follows Vic who isn't the coolest dude around. He has a stutter, he's shy and introverted. His best friend Brett is popular, smart and destined for ivy league college. Brett drags Vic to a party one night and while there Victor sees a girl from school throwing up in the bushes. Because he's a good guy he helps her and takes her to an upstairs room of the house and lays her down. After turning her to her side and putting a wastebasket next to her he leaves the room. The next day Victor is accused of raping Callie - the girl he helped.
At school he approaches Callie's best friend Autumn to check on Callie and Autumn basically lays him out. However after the two start to talk more she begins to realize that Vic isn't guilty and soon so does Callie. But the question remains, who raped Callie?
A big portion of the book is dedicated to Autumn and Victor trying to find Callie's rapist and let me just tell you it gets addicting to read.
While reading this I felt like I was trying to discover the truth with the characters. Who did this? Why?
I will say I had a hunch on who it was so I wasn't entirely surprised when the truth came out. However it was still really good.
To wrap this up I just want to say that I would definitely recommend this book.

Release Date June 2, 2015 Pre-Order Here:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Kobo

Listen to my playlist for Modern Monsters on Spotify by clicking HERE

1 comment: